Custom A2R

A forum to showcase your Barracudas.
NORD

Custom A2R

Post by NORD »

Hi all. Here is my A2R custom build I put together about 12 years ago that I ride regularly. It is not very purist but I built it with later model components that I enjoy alot and it has good balance for my riding. There were lots of A2Rs around in my area when I was younger(they must have sold a bunch locally) and I saw very few other models through the years. Always liked them and was swayed early on by the graphics and the slick Barracuda ads in magazines showing a bike and rider floating across a Colorado landscape. I rode a couple A2Rs over time and then came across this frame with a few of its components still on it on ebay in L.A. 12 years ago. I am not sure if this bike is a 1993 or 1994. I'm not so good with photos but I'll give it a shot here.

Components:
2000 Marzocchi Z1 Dropoff fork
Ritchey stem & grips
Ritchey Scuzzy logic headset
Anwser Hyperlite bar
Odyssey red ano bar end protectors
Alien Shockpost
Ritchey Ti rail saddle
XT hubs & Salsa Semi 36h rims
Race Face ano red BB
XT pedals
XT crankset
Hyperglide 8 spd cassette
XT front & rear derailleurs
XT thumb shifters
99 XT V- Brakes
Ritchey red pads
98 LX Servo Wave levers
Continental Cross Country tires
Added a cable brazeon to top tube for rear brakes and repainted the area

1994 Barracuda A2R
1993 Barracuda A2L
1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Team
1972 Regina Sport SS project
1991 Bianchi Ibex project
1995 Bianchi Ibex project

neo_pop_71

Re: Custom A2R

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey all,

Let me be the the first to welcome John aka "NORD" to the family of Cudaheads! John and I began this discussion over on Bike Forums, he contacted me with a registration issue. I turned it over to "The Grand Poobah" (my term, not his) aka Mark for guidance on the issue and no sooner it was solved. I can't speak for "Mixalive" aka Terry aka "The Good Mod" but as far as the computer goes... not my strong suit... that's why he is Sheriff Mixalive and I'm Deputy Barney Fife with one bullet in my shirt pocket. As far as the usual suspects goes, "VPC66" aka Vinny and "Wild Man" or "Derek" aka Derek round out the regulars. If I've offended any of the other Cudaheads by not mentioning you by name... too bad... post more often and maybe I'd remember you!!!

Anyway, your A2R looks like a champ! You and I have the same interest in parts, your build lists reads like a compilation of my various builds! No joke, I swear I've owned 90% of the parts listed... great minds and all that mess! How is the handling? You have the long travel 100mm Marz Bomber, I ran the regular 85mm Bomber on my A2L for some time and it was good but not great as it was twitchy at speed or on the descents. I look forward to reading a trail report! You certainly have some beautiful country in Maine, I believe you are the only member in Maine, so I'm looking forward to some more trail photos of your adventures!

Welcome to the family, glad to have you along for the ride!

All the best,

-DON-
aka "The Bad Mod"

p.s. I don't want to be a spoiler, so tells us about your other bikes... post non-Cuda bikes in the OFF TOPIC forum or if you have any other Cudas in your future, we'd love to see them!

p.p.s. It's interesting how different the same fork can look, simply because it's on a different bike, here is my long travel Marz Bomber on my Psycle Werks WildHare... on your A2R it looks long and on my Wildhare it looks short! Wacky!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

The tv show CHEERS comes to mind so I must scream out ....NORD !!!!

Glad to have you join our little group and hope you receive some Barracuda info and laughs during times spent here.... Vinnie
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

NORD

Post by NORD »

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm very happy to discover the site. I will try to post some other bikes info in off topic when I can. I will try to put my serial number up when I can also. I also have bike test from a magazine I have never seen before online if someone will direct me to the appropriate person to send it to to have it put on the website.

Don...Thanks for sharing the WildHare photos. The reason the forks look different is the Z1 on my A2R is actually the 130 mm version( there were actually 3 different versions of the Z1 at the time) not the Bomber pictured on the WildHare which is shorter travel. I was unsure of the Z1 choice at first on my frame build because of it being too much chopper like but I ended up pleased with it when assembled as the extremely short head tube on my frame relative to what is typical lent itself to accepting the super long fork. The bike is pretty balanced overall for me and not twitchy,very confident on descents and plenty plush and responsive on small stuff. Best thing I like is it will last me forever pretty much and you pretty much can't bottom it out,perfect for dropping off a flat ledge and not worrying about it or the bike. It was not Marzocchi's best technology at the time but it suits my needs perfectly and I always loved the looks of this model. The Z2 Bam of that era was about my favorite and to me the best shock of all time,but I am biased.
1994 Barracuda A2R
1993 Barracuda A2L
1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Team
1972 Regina Sport SS project
1991 Bianchi Ibex project
1995 Bianchi Ibex project